TPC’s Announce HP LTO 7
LTO Technology Provider Companies (LTOs) recently made an announcement stating that LTO generation 7 specifications are available for licensing. This new version of LTO has double the capacity of tape cartridges, up to 15TB of storage. The HP LTO 7 will allow faster transfer of large files, up to 750MB per second, thus eliminating the need for long waiting periods.
Chris Powers, Vice President of Data Center Development, stated that the release of the LTO 7 will change the game when it comes to long term data archiving and storage. He also went ahead to state that the high performance of LTO technology continues to prove that tapes are still a formidable force and here to stay.
The high storage capacity and data transfer rates are as a result of a wide range of technological advancements which allow for stronger magnetic properties as well as doubling of read/ write heads.
Reasons Why You Should Move To Tape Storage
If you have-not yet thought of moving to tape storage, here are some reasons that will change your mind:
1. High Capacity Storage. Disk lovers may be vocal about how disks offer large data storage capacities. However, they would be surprised to discover that tapes offer more in terms of storage. Currently, the storage capacity of generation 7 LTO stands at 15TB. This number can be improved using compression features. Meaning the capacity could double or triple.
2. Easy Storage. Tapes offer a large storage capacity. What’s more is that this feature comes in a relatively small package. The cartridges offer businesses a means to back up their sensitive data without having to dedicate an entire room just to cater for server hardware.
3. Relatively Low Costs. Although the initial installation may be pricey, it cannot be compared to the amount of electricity that disks use up. The drawback with disks is that they constantly need to be running, even if they are not backing up data. This is unlike tapes that do not need to be running constantly. Once the backup is done, they go into standby mode. In the long run, this helps in saving costs for the business in terms of electricity bills.
4. Dependability. Tapes are said to last for up to 30 years if they are kept in the right conditions. Even if a few factors such as temperature and humidity were to affect this number, it is still impressive enough. Also, during this time, tapes would not be susceptible to file corruption or media decay.
5. Simple Replication. If backup is needed, it is a simple enough procedure to replicate information stored on the tape. Furthermore, LTO tapes offer encryption features which offer better overall security of the data on the tape.
6. Security. Storing tapes within secure, restricted-access locations ensures that the sensitive data on them is kept away from any prying eyes. Moreover, because of the sensitivity of tapes to external factors such as humidity and temperature, they are stored within secure locations.